Alternate KnT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mermaid in the Water

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mermaid in the Water Empty Mermaid in the Water

Post  Miko Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Miko was laying in the moon pool humming. It was a nice night and she was bored. No one ever came to the island anymore. It was a shark breeding ground now. Too dangerous for anyone else. But not for her. She was a mermaid. Well...partly. Only when water touched her was she a mermaid. It happened a few years ago. Miko was doing a project for school on the water of the island when she found the moon pool. Somehow during that night she became a mermaid. Now, whenever she touched water, she turned into a mermaid. Scales and a fin...not to mention the scales covering her top area too...but only that area. It was like a natural bikini top. Odd...but effective.

It was fun being a mermaid. Especially since she lived near the ocean. Australia was good for that. It was well past midnight and she had school in the morning...might as well go home.

"New school year tomorrow...should be fun. Senior year. Finally." The Japanese born aussie swam home and got ready for her first day of school. Who knew that her last year of high school would be by far the most interesting...and complicated.
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Mermaid in the Water Empty Re: Mermaid in the Water

Post  Mally Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:48 pm

It was the last night of summer vacation. Mally and her two sisters were joining their uncle aboard his yacht for a little bit of a cruise. They sailed most of the day and Mally tried to be fun but she was feeling a little seasick and her sisters drove her crazy. She always pictured herself the black sheep of the family. They were very social and into many things that will lead them all to succeed in life and Mally was timid, quiet and would rather spend her time sketching or painting and listening to music. She wasn't like her family at all.

During a late dinner on the boat that night, she felt even more sick. It could be the motion or the annoyance of her family, but she walked along the deck of the boat, taking in the cool night air. She sighed and leaned against the railing, looking out at the moon shining on the water. They were passing a small island and she was paying attention to the detail. It seemed to call to her and she wished she had her sketchbook at that moment so she could draw its surreal beauty. There was a glimmer of something and she squinted into the darkness to try and make it out. Was that...a fish laying on a rock? Oh no, was some poor creature trapped on a rock and stuck out of water? She leaned closer over the railing to try and see better and the figure sat up. Her mouth dropped. A mermaid? No way. Figuring her imagination was running away with her, she went back inside the cabin and went to go to bed. No way. Mermaids weren't real. It must be her seasickness.

They were going to be spending the year with their uncle in Australia for school. Her sisters were off to the university and she was still in high school. Great. Her senior year and she was to be in a foreign country. Sure, she knew English, but she was Japanese. How would she ever fit in? She walked into her first class and was introduced to a class that snickered at her. Mally gripped her books tight to her chest and kept her eyes to the floor as she took her seat. This sucked.

That first class was rather boring and Mally slid back in her chair so she could hide her sketchbook under the table. She was doodling some lines and it took shape into a darkly beautiful mermaid, water crashing up on the rock she was half laying on. Mally drew some kanji near the mermaid that read 'beautiful creature of darkness'. A faint smile crossed her features as she drew. The bell rang, though and Mally got up, gathering her things and searching for her schedule so she could figure out where she was to go for her next class. If only the students were nicer and offered to help instead of knocking the books out of her arms.
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:01 pm

Miko was sitting in her creative writing class waiting for the bell to ring. This wasn't going to be good. PE was next and they always started out with swimming. It was after all the favorite pastime of over half the student body. But what she got was even more of a surprise. A new student. Asian...Japanese by the looks of her...just like her. Finally. She wasn't the only one. But then again, she'd grown up in Australia. Born in Osaka and grew up in Brisbane. It was a nice coastal town with a few small islands off shore. The new student was Mally...a few girls snickered but Miko's glare stopped them in their tracks. It paid to be popular.

"Mally take a seat please. Alright. Today we'll get all of your uniforms and everything handed out to you and then tomorrow we start swimming lessons." Crap. The lithe asian raised her hand.

"I can't do the swimming periods Ms. Holt."

"Again Ms. Sanchez? Well, get a doctor's note." Oh how she hated her last name. It was her birth father's name but she hadn't seen or heard from him since she was four. It was only her mother and her now...well and her mother's new boyfriend.
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Mally Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:22 pm

Third class of the day was PE. Ugh. Did anyone actually LIKE this class? Mally hated it. She was not very athletic and she was in a bit of a bad mood already. She sat there while the teacher told them they would be swimming. Great. Mally didn't know how to swim. She looked away, wondering if she would be able to get out of it when a girl in the middle of the class said she wouldn't because of her period. That wasn't what shocked her, though. This girl was Asian. That was something Mally did not expect. Her name didn't sound anything remotely close to Asian but her face definitely was. Mally wondered if the girl would be nice to her. There was a group of girls around her who gave her glares, so Mally didn't think she'd try. The popular ones were always mean.

Lunchtime, finally. Mally got her lunch and found an empty table in the corner to sit at. She put on headphones and started to draw in her sketchbook. Another mermaid. This was the fifth one today. For some reason, she just couldn't get the image out of her head. This mermaid was underwater, though, her body contorted beautifully as if she were a model. The picture made her smile. Eating alone never bothered her. Mally knew she would never be popular. She didn't want to be, either.
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Thank god she got out of it. Lunchtime was there and she was surrounded by her group of friends. But the new girl was drawing her attention. Hmm...maybe she should go say hello. The teen got up and moved her way fluidly through the crowd to the empty table. Smiling, Miko sat down.

"Hello. I'm Miko. We had PE together. I just wanted to come say hello and welcome you to our school...you're from Japan right? I can tell from the accent. More then the looks actually. How did you end up in Australia anyway?"
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Mally Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Maly was shocked when there was suddenly someone sitting at her table. It was the last person she would have expected, too. Quickly, she shut her sketchbook and took off her headphones. Mally blushed a little, not really sure what ever to say in social situations. She was just an awkward teenager.

"Yes. I'm from Japan." She said, her English clearly accented. "My uncle took me and my sisters in for the year to study."

She looked up at Miko shyly and seemed to get stuck in her eyes. Something about her seemed so familiar and yet so far off. She didn't get a close look at her in PE but now she was right here, across the table. Miko was positively stunning. Mally blushed and looked down at the table. What was she supposed to say?
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:34 pm

"Well you're going to like Brisbane. It's a nice place. Lots of places to swim, though I'd stay away from the island. It's a shark breeding ground. No one goes out there unless they want to be fish food." Miko wanted to make sure no wandering swimmers came close to her island...it wasn't technically hers but then again it was.

"If you want I can show you around after school or something....how you liking school so far? Anything interesting you found yet?"
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Mally Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:38 pm

"Yeah, my uncle had us on his boat last night and I saw the island. It's really pretty." She said, smiling a little. She'd never say what else she thought she saw. Miko would think she was crazy. "Oh, I don't swim. I really don't know how...I'm sort of terrified of water."

The idea of getting showed around by one of the popular girls sounded interesting, but she could see already that there were people in the cafeteria that didn't like the idea of Miko talking to her. Mally frowned. Sure, Miko was nice, but it probably wasn't a real offer. She leaned back in her chair and opened her sketchbook up. There, you were nice to the new girl. You can go back to your group now.

"School is school...I'll get used to it, I guess..." She picked up a pencil and started to draw. "I'm not really all that outgoing, so..."
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:47 pm

"Really? Me too. It happened about...about two years ago I'd say. Ever since I've just never gone in the water. That's why I get doctor's notes for PE. You don't have to be outgoing. We have a great art club. They do all sorts of stuff. I'm in it. For the ceramics. We have our first meet after school on Wednesday if you're interested. Sorry...I probably seem overbearing and a bit too bubbly for the first day of school but I'm excited to have another asian in the school. Sounds shallow I know but...well other then my mom we're the only ones. Well us and Aki. He's this older man that lives out in West Cresthill." West Cresthill was one of the communities in Brisbane. It was a nice neighborhood to live in. Miko and her mom lived up the hill from West Cresthill. Maybe that was who Mally was staying with?
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Mally Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:57 pm

"Art club?" She looked up at Miko, interest on her face. Without her father breathing down on her neck, she would be able to actually join an art club. It wasn't proper or honorable, her father said. But it was what she loved and she was excited that there might be an opportunity to display her work. She'd love to be able to paint again.

"Masunobu Aki?" She smiled. "Hai. That's my uncle."

Miko was excited for another Asian and Mally was happy, too. Not just for that, but that Miko wanted to talk to her in the first place. It would be good to have a friend here. And maybe Miko could help her transition to Australian life. She felt so confused about things here.
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:16 pm

Miko grinned and nodded. "Yeah. It's loads of fun. Yeah. Aki. He's a fisherman isn't he? I always see him out on the water in his boat." It was starting to hit off wonderfully. Mally joined the art club and her and Miko were starting to become really good friends. It was so much fun. It was about three months into the school year when the storm hit. Miko was at the island and had told her mom she was at a friend's safe and sound. There wasn't a safer place then in the moon pool. The hallowed out center of a volcano. But something in the wind was off. She could feel it in her bones. Something wasn't right. Even the creatures in the water were seeking shelter. What was going on?
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Mally Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:48 pm

Mally seemed to have made a friend. Things were working out great. She joined the art club and was able to paint again. Everything was mermaids, though. Over and over again. She'd draw these beautiful mermaids and surreal mermaids and figures in dark paint that looked like mermaids. Even though time passed, she just couldn't stop drawing or painting them.

The night of the storm, her uncle was out to sea. Mally was very worried and so took one of his other boats to try and find him. He hadn't been answering his phone or the radio. Her sisters were off at the university and Mally was not going to lose him. So, as inexperienced as she was, she went to find him. The storm was crazy and Mally was drenched and shivering. She finally got a hold of him and the coast guard had already found him. Apparently, his boat was badly taking on water and the coast guard were able to save him. Mally turned her boat around and tried to get back to shore. The waves were too high and she started to get scared. She didn't know how to swim. There was the island. It wasn't far from here, but a huge wave came, rocking the boat too far to the side. Mally slipped on the water and hit her head against the railing. Dazed, she could barely move. The boat was starting to hit the rocks on the island and Mally tried to get to her feet. Another wave came and Mally got washed overboard, barely missing the rocks.
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:53 pm

Something was really wrong. Miko felt the tide shift ever so slightly and went into the water to investigate. When she came out of the underwater cave she found Mally sinking. Mally couldn't swim. She was as good as dead if Miko didn't so something. The mermaid swam and grabbed her friend. Moving as fast as she could through the water. The tide was too strong though, even for her. The island was the only option. So once she got Mally on the ground of the moon pool she made sure she was safe. All the water out of her lungs and that she was breathing.

The boat her friend had been in was gone too. Quickly Miko went to get some of Mally's things. At least the ones she could find. It wasn't long before she was back with Mally's jacket and her bag. Her friend still hadn't woken up yet...well at least the moon pool was dry.
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Mally Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Mally was falling through the water, dazed, dizzy and unable to breathe. She didn't know what to do besides flail around, praying that something would happen and she wouldn't die. Something came towards her in the water just as she started to black out. Was it...no. She was just imagining a mermaid again. Her body felt so sore and she felt so cold. Mally just knew she was shivering. When she woke up, she started choking, badly, and rolled onto her side, coughing up water. Her eyes stayed closed for a moment as she breathed and she finally opened them, sitting up a little to look around. Where was she? How did she survive that? She saw Miko and became even more confused.

"M-Miko? How did...What..." She coughed again and pulled her knees close, trying to curl up to gain some warmth. She was freezing from the water and shivering still. "I can't believe I'm alive..."
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:04 pm

"You're lucky. There's a pile of wood over there and a set of matches in that hole in the rocks. Just need to warm up. What were you doing out in the storm. You can't swim." Miko was in the water, hiding her scales and fin. She didn't know how Mally would react to her being a mermaid.

"You'll be stuck here the rest of the night...but the storm should pass by the morning."
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Mally Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 pm

"My uncle...I had to help him somehow...but the coast guard got to him before I did...he's safe now, but his boat sank...mine did, too, I guess..." She covered her face with her hands. She would probably be in so much trouble. And now she was stuck on this island which was supposedly shark breeding grounds. How was she ever going to get home?

"Miko..." She looked over at her friend, who was mostly in the water. How could she look so comfortable. "I-I thought you didn't like the water..."

She sort of wished Miko was sitting next to her. Then Mally would have an excuse to try and share some of her body heat. She looked over at the pile of wood but she didn't know how to start a fire, so it was pretty much useless. And it was starting to get really dark.
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:28 pm

Miko looked down. "Yeah...well I love the water but I can't let people see me in it. Here..." The girl held up her hand to the wood and turned her hand as she drew it back. It didn't look like much but Miko was heating all the water in the wood till it was dry enough to burst into flames, which it did.

"There. Mally...do you believe in the supernatural. Like mermaids and fairies and stuff?"
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Mally Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:43 pm

"Oh..." Mally looked away and tried to warm herself up a little. Why was it so cold? When she looked up, Miko had started a fire. Mally crawled closer to the flames and tried to get warm and dry but she was still shivering. Miko said something about mermaids and Mally was startled. She was just thinking about mermaids.

"Everyone asks me that because I paint mermaids all the time. I...I don't know what I believe, but I think that if there were mermaids or fairies, that they would be very beautiful and interesting." She rubbed her hands together, wishing they would warm up. "I think I'd like to meet one, if they were real...just to know for myself. I mean...I draw mermaids a lot. You've seen them. My sketchbook is full of mermaids...When my uncle took us on a tour the day before school started, I got seasick. That night I was looking over the railing at this island as we passed and I could have sworn I saw something...like a mermaid. I guess my imagination runs away with me, but I've been drawing that same mermaid for months now..."

That was probably the most she had spoken to anyone in one go. Mally, being usually so very quiet, was actually shocked she kept talking. But she felt so comfortable around Miko. She didn't think her friend would laugh at her for her silly imagination.
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:47 pm

Miko heated the water on Mally's clothing too and dried her off before smiling. "Yeah...I wasn't sure who it was looking out here. You're a bit off on the face but you had a good general idea of what I looked like." It would probably take Mally a few seconds to realize what Miko had said and by that time she would be up on the ledge that was just below the surface of the water. She was showing Mally her scales and her tail.

"Well...now you know they're real...and why I can't get in water around people. 10 seconds after touching water and...I grow a tale."
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Mally Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:58 pm

Mally was confused and looked over with a quizzical look that soon turned to amazement. Miko was a mermaid! No way. Mally's jaw dropped. All this time, she had been drawing a mermaid and she had been drawing Miko? And she knew? Mally blushed furiously.

"Miko...I don't know what to say..." All this fascination with mermaids and her friend suddenly was one. Miko had seen all the paintings, the drawings, had heard Mally tell her stories behind this mystical mermaid that Mally was so attached to. It made her blush so much. She sort of had a crush on this mermaid she dreamed up. Sure, she always thought Miko was beautiful, but she felt highly embarrassed for how she felt about mermaids.

The scales on Miko's body were glimmering in the firelight and Mally just couldn't take her eyes away.
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:02 am

Miko watched Mally's reaction carefully. She didn't want her to be scared but it seemed Mally was more fascinated then anything...and staring. Miko blushed and moved her tail in the water. "It's nice. Being a mermaid. I love it...it's just hard, living where I do. You know? No one knows about it either. If you tell people they'll take me away and dissect me. I'm trusting you with the biggest secret in the world to me....please don't tell anyone."
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Mally Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:07 am

Mally watched her tail and wondered idly what it felt like. Miko mentioned that she could be carried away and dissected and Mally moved instantly to her side to hug onto her.

"No!" She said nervously. "I would never tell anyone...I wouldn't want that to happen. Not ever."

She blushed as she realized how close she was to her friend and she backed away, muttering an apology. She couldn't help but blush and feel self conscious. Miko was a mermaid. A mermaid! Mally was honored to be her friend and to know her secret. She bit her lip, watching Miko move. She was so ethereal...Mally felt so insignificant next to her.

"Now I know who I draw all the time..." She blushed.
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:53 am

Miko smiled softly and moved to pulled Mally in the water. "You do draw me very well...you draw me in too. Mermaids are very...solitary. Most don't interest me but you...you are very peculiar. It's odd. I like it though. Mysteries are rare to me." Miko was shining a little in the moonlight. Wrapping her arms around Mally the mermaid leaned in close and kissed her. It was soft and wet and...oh dear. Very fast Miko moved away and looked down.

"Sorry...I-I shouldn't have."
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Mally Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Mally tensed up a little as she found herself suddenly pulled into the water. No, Miko wouldn't let go of her. She trusted her. Miko knew she couldn't swim. She was barely listening to what Miko said, too concerned about the water all around her. But then Miko kissed her. Mally froze for a split second and then kissed back, relaxing a little in her arms. There was something she never thought would happen. All this time, she would stay up late, thinking about the mermaid she kept drawing and what it would be like to touch her, to kiss her. And now, knowing the mermaid was Miko this whole time, everything made sense. Kissing the mermaid suddenly became natural and something Mally wanted.

Miko moved away suddenly, letting Mally go. She gasped and flailed, grabbing onto the rock near her to keep herself afloat.

"Miko..." She was scared, being in the water. "Don't let me go..."
Mally
Mally

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:04 pm

Miko moved back and grabbed Mally, setting her up on the rock shelf just below the water. "Sorry...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to let you go...I...forget that kiss okeh? I don't want to lose the only true friend I've got because of a kiss..." Miko was back in the water, away from Mally now that she was safe on the shelf. The storm was passing and it was safe to go out now...she couldn't leave Mally on the island. It wasn't safe for her. She didn't want what she did to cause problems though either...
Miko
Miko

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum